Pages

Wednesday 25 May 2011

How many mothers have been discriminated against by their Employer?

It's an interesting question. Half of the new Mum's that I know have been treated illegally or very poorly by their employers. I know that this isn't a very scientific study but that's still quite a shocking number. The issues range from being denied returning to work part time as part of the "phased approach" plan to not paying out sick leave which was a pregnancy related illness.

It's quite worrying that in this day and age these things still happen. I've talked to many women about the shocking statistic that women are still paid considerably less than their male counterparts who are doing exactly the same job.

I'm sure that this issue has been written about far more eloquently by many other people who are far better qualified. However, as a woman at the "coalface" of this discrimination it does make my blood boil. Yet I don't seem to be able to do anything about it. I don't want to come across as a bra burner and all of the women that I have talked too says it makes them very angry too, that mother's and women in general are still treated unfairly. Yet we still don't do anything about it. Are we too busy focusing on raising our children and trying to keep afloat in these difficult economic times or is it something that runs much deeper?

No comments:

Post a Comment